Marc de Wilde is Professor of Jurisprudence with a focus on the history of legal thought and head of the Department of General Jurisprudence. His research interests include the history and theory of the rule of law, human rights, the state of exception, emergency powers and constitutional change.
Marc de Wilde teaches the following courses at undergraduate level (B.A.):
European Legal History
History of Legal Theory
- "Offering Hospitality to Strangers: Hugo Grotius's Draft Regulations for the Jews," The Legal History Review/ Tijdschrift voor Rechtsgeschiedenis 85, no. 3-4 (2017), 391-433.
- "Just Trust Us: A Short History of Emergency Powers and Constitutional Change," Comparative Legal History 3, no. 1 (2015), 110-130.
- "Emergency Powers and Constitutional Change in the Late Middle Ages," The Legal History Review/ Tijdschrift voor Rechtsgeschiedenis, 83, no. 1-2 (2015), 26-59.
- "The Dictatorship and the Fall of the Roman Republic," Zeitschrift der Savigny-Stiftung fur Rechtsgeschichte: Romanistische Abteilung 130 (2013), 1-39
- "The Dictator's Trust: Regulating and Constraining Emergency Powers in the Roman Republic," History of Political Thought 33, no. 4 (2012), p. 555-577
- "Fides Publica in Ancient Rome and its Reception by Grotius and Locke," in Legal History Review / Tijdschrift voor Rechtsgeschiedenis 79, no. 3-4 (2011), p. 455-487.
- "Meeting Opposites: The Political Theologies of Walter Benjamin and Carl Schmitt," in Philosophy and Rhetoric 44, no. 4 (2011), p. 363-381.
- "Walter Benjamin's Other Law," in Law's Environment: Critical Legal Perspectives , ed. U. de Vries and L. Francot (The Hague: Eleven, 2011), p. 137-154.
- "Locke and the State of Exception: Towards a Modern Understanding of Emergency Government," in European Constitutional Law Review 6, no. 2 (2010), p. 249-267
- "The State of Emergency in the Weimar Republic: Legal Disputes over Art. 48 of the Weimar Constitution," in Legal History Review/ Tijdschrift voor Rechtsgeschiedenis 78, no. 1-2 (2010), p. 135-158
- "Walter Benjamin's Politics of Remembrance: A Reading of Über den Begriff der Geschichte ," in Rolf J. Goebel (ed), Companion to Walter Benjamin ( Rochester, NY: Camden House, 2009), p. 177-194
- "Het Falen van de Mensenrechten: Een Filosofische Analyse," Krisis: Journal for Contemporary Philosophy 3 (2008), 31-42
- Book: Verwantschap in Extremen. Politieke Theologie bij Walter Benjamin en Carl Schmitt (Amsterdam, Vossius Pers, 2008)
- "Violence in the State of Exception ," in Lawrence E. Sullivan and Hent de Vries (ed), Political Theologies: Public Religions in a Post-Secular World ( New York : Fordham University Press, 2006), 188-200
- "Safeguarding the Constitution with and against Carl Schmitt," Political Theory 34: 4 (2006), 510-515
Marc de Wilde is bestuurslid van de Stichting Reinhold-De Wilde bij het Teylers Museum Haarlem